November 1st is World Vegan Day!
The benefits of a plant-based lifestyle for humans and the environment are recognised across the globe with various activities. What better month to be talking about the environmental benefits of following a plant based diet then when world leaders are meeting in Glasgow for the COP25 climate summit.
Now, we know veganism isn’t for everyone, and that’s fine! However, there is no denying an excellent plant-based dish means you’d never miss meat!
So, celebrate World Vegan Day with a fragrant butternut squash, chickpea, apricot & date stew created by our very own Head Chef, Leah.
100g Tomato purée
100g Red pepper, chopped & deseeded
6 Red chillies
15g Garlic, peeled
1tbsp All spice
1tsp Smoked paprika
1tsp Ground coriander
½ tsp Chilli powder
½ tsp Ground black pepper
500g Onion, finely diced
2 Celery sticks, finely diced
1tbsp Vegetable bouillon
100g Tomato purée
800g Butternut squash, cm dice
200g Dried apricots, processed
200g Dates, processed
800g Tin Chickpeas, drain & rinse
¼ pk Coriander, finely chopped
- To make the harissa, place the tomato puree, red pepper, red chillies & garlic in a food processor.
- Blend for 1-2 minutes, scraping down sides as needed until a smooth paste is achieved.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend until combined & set aside.
- Heat the oil in a heavy based pan add the onion & celery, sweat off until soft add the harissa paste.
- Make up some stock using the vegetable bouillon & boiling water add the tomato puree & passata pour into the pan & bring to the boil.
- Add the butternut squash turn down to simmer for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the processed apricots & dates simmer for 5minutes then add the chickpeas & coriander. Check the butternut squash, it should have a slight bite to it.
Serve- With cous cous or rice, toasted flaked almonds & chopped coriander (optional)